The holiday season is all about spending quality time with family and friends, and usually involve lots of traveling and driving. There are get together; good food and laughter to look forward too. The additional amount of travel and driving is part of a vacation. Many holiday makes prefer to do their own driving and rent out a care to drive around and explore their destination. These car rentals are often included in their travel quotes or tour packages. While holidays are all about fun and excitement, there are some essential aspects to keep in mind when driving a vehicle during your trip, especially when you are in a foreign land. The aim should be to have a safe and fun holiday.
Here are some valuable tips when driving on your vacation.
What you should do
First of all, avoid driving alone or at night, especially when you are new in the area. If you must drive at night, stick to the well-lit areas and park in a public place.
- Keep the doors and windows locked while you are in or outside the car.
- Make sure that the car you hire carries an anti-theft device.
- If you must shop at night, park in a well-lit area.
- Do not park next to trucks or vans, or cars with dark windows. It is best to park as close as possible to your destination.
- Do not make the mistake of leaving your car unoccupied and with children inside.
- Do not leave valuables or packages or valuables on the seat of your car as this would be an open temptation for thieves. It is best to leave your things in the in the trunk.
Remember to locate your keys before going to your car.
Always keep a secure hold on your handbag and parcels and avoid putting them on top of the car in order to open the door.
What you should not do
Be aware of your surroundings when you approach or leave your vehicle. In case you feel uncomfortable about the area, do not approach your car alone.
- Before leaving your shopping location, it is best to ask mall or store security for an escort.
- Teach your children not to entertain any stranger who comes knocking at your car.
- Children should not be left in the car alone or be left alone in the car.
- Never drink and drive and know the rules and regulations for the traffic in the new town, city or state.
- Know your safe limit and avoid grabbing the attention of local police by driving fast.
- Make sure you carry your driving license and all the papers for the car rental are in order and complete.
- The vehicle you hire should be insured and the company you hire it from should be legal and authorized.
Just keep the above tips in mind before you hire a car for your vacation. If you do the right things, there is no stopping you from having the best vacation of your life.